Skip to main content

Mall History: Machine Gun Kelly's Flash Mob at South Park Mall

 



Did you see Machine Gun Kelly's performance on SNL over the weekend? I did. Despite the fact that I live in Northeastern Ohio and have been hearing MGK's name for years, I've never really listened to him. I had read about his pivot to pop punk, and me, a lady who has gone to many a Warped Tour, so I was curious, finally. His performance was solid. But my immediate thought was "hey, does anyone else remember when Machine Gun Kelly got arrested at South Park Mall?"

Here's what happened:

In 2011, Colson Baker, aka Machine Gun Kelly, was on top of the music world, having just signed to Diddy's Bad Boy label. One day, he tweeted out to his followers, "I'm thinking about doing a flash mob at a mall or something tomorrow lol cleveland should we do one while I'm home?"

Over the next few hours, he came up with the location (South Park Mall in Strongsville, Ohio), and gave his fans directions: show up in the food court, and at 5pm, "No one move til you hear 'Cleveland' start, once it starts run to whatever table i'm at and Lets bust a mid-mall crowd surf and RAGE HARD!!!"

Here's the problem with the food court at South Park Mall: it's on a second level, and there are railings that look down to the second floor everywhere. And there were people EVERYWHERE. The chances of someone flying over said railings during a mid-mall crowd surf would've been very, very high. I personally would've gone with a mall with a more open food court, but unfortunately, it was 2011 and I wasn't contacted.



Three people stood up on the tables; one was Machine Gun Kelly. They were asked by management to not stand on the tables, because they were so close to the railings. They didn't listen. The last time MGK stood up on a table, he was immediately taken down and cuffed by the police. By 6:45pm, his management tweeted that MGK and his boys were in a holding cell, and the hashtag #FreeMGK was born.

 When he was asked why he did it, Kelly gave this (wholesome AF) quote:

"This whole flash mob thing that we did today wasn’t necessarily about looking all funny, like flash dancing, it was more of a chance to like, you know, it was the first appearance we’ve done in Ohio since we announced a major label deal, and it was kind of a chance to show all the kids that we really care about them and that we’re still here and we’re still grounded and we’re gonna be Ohio boys and Cleveland boys till we’re six feet under."


 

He was charged with disorderly conduct, went about his life, and now almost 10 years later, he's performed on SNL and he's dating that lady from The Transformers movies. Not too shabby for a kid named Colson from the mean streets of...Shaker Heights, Ohio?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shiny Happy People, 1978

 I love this ad for Rolling Acres Mall, my childhood mall located in Akron, Ohio. The ad is for the expansion of the mall, which included the bubble elevator. 

A Mall and a Movie: Sherman Oaks Galleria / Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)

Sherman Oaks Galleria starring as Ridgemont Mall in Fast Times at Ridgemont High   Welcome to a mall and a movie, with me, flannelkimono! When I wasn't hanging out at the mall, I was definitely at home, watching movies. My family always prioritized having cable over everything, so we always had cable with HBO and Showtime. Ridiculous, right? But I'm thankful for that digital babysitter. Now I'm a wealth of ridiculous pop culture nuggets! Fast Times at Ridgemont High was absolutely one of the movies I watched repeatedly on HBO. I still wear the same black and white checkered Vans slip-ons that Jeff Spicoli wore in the movie. And the carrot scene from that movie was absolutely in my head the first time I ever gave someone a blowjob. Ah, youth. Like many of the movies of this time, the mall acted as a central character; it was where all of the stories and the people came together. It could absolutely be argued that this movie is the one that planted the idea in my head that t

Johnstown Galleria's Storage Wars

  The owner of Johnstown Galleria mall in Johnstown, Pennsylvania is mad and ready to go to court, following the sale of the former Sears to a storage company. Johnstown Galleria is a two story mall, which according to their website, has typical mall staples (Hot Topic, GNC, Claire’s, Auntie Anne’s), but is otherwise populated by local businesses.  It is owned by Leo Karruli, who is a longtime business owner in the area. In 2022, he purchased the mall at auction for $3m, pledging to bring the mall back from death. , From what I’ve read, he’s doing just that. He took an entire dead food court and repopulated it with local businesses, and it looks to be working well in the interior of the mall, too. The mall has very few empty spaces. I have yet to visit Johnstown Galleria, but it is on my map of places to visit, especially after reading about all of the revitalization and seeing the fountain in Ray Out There's Johnstown walk-through (hot tip: rayoutthere is also a great IG follow